by Joanna Poppink, M.F.C.C
Affirmations are an important aspect of success
in ending a lifetime of overeating and many other unwanted behaviors.
A full month of following a new behavior is necessary to begin to establish
new patterns and change a habit or mindset.
The new affirmation behavior in your Triumphant Journey is to say selected
affirmations out loud three times every morning.
Repeating personally relevant affirmations on
a regular basis for a month can help free your mind of negative
thinking. Your thinking and sense of yourself can then begin to grow
and expand in a healthy creative way. Stating affirmations can also
help you accept your continually developing strengths and self knowledge.
This section contains 134 affirmations. Choose which ideas seem most
appropriate for you.
Choose affirmations if after reading them you think:
- "If I really believed that, my life would be a lot better."
- "I wish my life were like that."
- "That's too good to be true."
Method: Choose one, three or five affirmations.
Read them out loud every morning three times.
- Read out loud once as you stand in one place.
This prepares your inner self to receive the affirmation.
- Read out loud once as you walk around a room
or outdoor area. This helps ground the meaning into your body
and also makes the thought and feeling familiar and comfortable in
particular and different environments.
- Read out loud once in front of a mirror, looking
at your reflection as you speak. This helps you see yourself
listening and helps you accept the strength and awareness you are
Do this every morning for one month.
At the end of one month, add new affirmations
to your list. You may subtract any affirmations you did the preceding
month. Or, you may continue on with any of them. You will have a sense
of what you need to do as you become engaged in the process.
Here is a list of 134 affirmations from which to choose. Feel free to add
to your personal list at any time.
(If you find or create affirmations of particular value to you, please send
them to SelfhelpMagazine,
and we will consider adding them to
Nothing In Excess
1. I happily nourish my body and receive full satisfaction from moderate
2. I welcome all my feelings knowing they guide me to my true self.
3. I deserve love and respect as I am.
4. I enjoy excellent health.
5. I have abundant energy.
6. I enjoy the colors, smells, and feel of life around me.
7. I am confident in the workings of my mind.
8. I am trustworthy. I can rely on me.
9. I say "yes" only when I mean it.
10. I say "no" when I feel it and mean it.
11. I am efficient and creative in my work.
12. I have ample time to relax and enjoy life.
13. I am lovable.
14. I delight in learning. I take classes and read books on subjects
new to me.
15. I invite friends to join me in simple pleasures.
16. I read aloud from my Triumpant Journey Journal and accept all my
experiences as valid.
17. I learn more about my value and inner life every day.
18. I honor my mind, my body and my spirit every day.
19. I give myself respect and encouragement to grow as a kind and loving
20. I stand up for what I believe.
21. I am honest to myself and other people.
22. I know how to care for myself.
23. I can forgive.
24. I can love.
25. I am free.
26. I am getting better and better in every way.
27. Creativity is a blessing I accept.
28. I am generous with my creativity, myself and others.
29. I tolerate my feelings, think, decide and then act or not act in
the best interest of all concerned, caring
for myself and my loved ones.
30. I accept God/Goddess's help unfolding my life.
31. Courage unifies me.
32. I know what I know.
33. I shift from a limiting mental state to a limitless mental state
easily and consistently.
34. I can find peace in myself.
35. I know when to let go and move on.
36. I explore where my creativity and bliss lead me.
37. I use anxiety to create.
38. I get adequate rest, exercise and nourishment.
39. I love my firends and family.
40. My friends and family love me.
Return to Triumphant Journey Index
Eating Disorders Online WWW Resources
Back To Eating Index
licensed by the State of California in 1980, is a Marriage, Family, Child
Counselor (License #15563). She has a private practice in Los Angeles
where she works with adult individuals and couples. She specializes in
working with people with eating disorders and with people who are trying
to understand and help a loved on who has an eating disorder.
10573 West Pico Blvd. Suite 20
Los Angeles, CA 90064
(310) 474-4165 phone
(310) 474-7248 fax